American Recovery and Reinvestment Act 2009 - Stimulus Package - ARRA
The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, sets
appropriations to revitalize the American economy and provides capital funding
for investments in infrastructure,
unemployment benefits, transportation, education, and healthcare. It includes a
net $19.5 billion dollars to aid in the development of a robust IT infrastructure
for healthcare and to assist providers and other entities in adopting and using
health IT. As a result, United States will save billions of dollars on the provision
of healthcare, and patients will receive coordinated, informed care from their entire
network of providers.
The main Objective of Obamas Stimulus Package:
- To lower health care costs
- To reduce medical errors
- To improve point care
- To improve access to data, such as healthcare IT, opportunities will arise to improve
business intelligence programs in healthcare
- To improve Quality
- October 1, 2010 - Reporting year begins for eligible hospitals and CAHs.
- January 1, 2011 - Reporting year begins for eligible professionals.
- January 3, 2011 - Registration for the Medicare EHR Incentive Program begins.
- January 3, 2011 - For Medicaid providers, states may launch their programs if they
- April 2011 - Attestation for the Medicare EHR Incentive Program begins.
- May 2011 - EHR Incentive Payments expected to begin.
- July 3, 2011 - Last day for eligible hospitals to begin their 90-day reporting period
to demonstrate meaningful use for the Medicare EHR Incentive Program.
- September 30, 2011 - Last day of the federal fiscal year. Reporting year ends for
eligible hospitals and CAHs.
- October 1, 2011 - Last day for eligible professionals to begin their 90-day reporting
period for calendar year 2011 for the Medicare EHR Incentive Program.
- November 30, 2011 - Last day for eligible hospitals and critical access hospitals
to register and attest to receive an Incentive Payment for Federal fiscal year (FY)
- December 31, 2011 - Reporting year ends for eligible professionals.
- February 29, 2012 - Last day for eligible professionals to register and attest to
receive an Incentive Payment for calendar year (CY) 2011.